Monday, June 6, 2011

Have a seat!

So, it has been almost a week since my last post, which is ridiculous and hopefully not going to happen again:) 

But in all fairness, this has been a huge project weekend for Mike and I. Not only did I have small things around the house that I wanted desperately to finish up...but we also put on a new roof, regraded our back yard, and prepped for our concrete patio that we will be pouring later this week! 

As of Saturday morning our backyard looked like this:


lovely, eh?

As you can see, it was kinda an "all hands on deck" weekend, so I spent very little time inside, much less on my computer:)

I will post more details about our exterior house projects later this week as we wrap up our patio...

In the meantime, I wanted to write about a little chair remodel that I was able to finish over the weekend, despite the chaos:)


These great little unpainted chairs were my Grandma's for many years. She had bought them when my sister and I were little so that we could sit at her high sewing table and work on crafts together. I have so many fond memories of "secretly" working on projects with my sister and my grandma to give to my mom for Christmas, Valentine's Day , and Mother's Day each year:) 

When my Grandma moved into an assisted living home two years ago, she gave me so many of the goodies that she had in her sewing room, so that I could jumpstart my own craft/sewing room in our home. These chairs were part of the many treasures she passed along to me.

As I have been slowly transforming my craft room, some of which I blogged about here... I finally decided what I would do with my chairs to make them fit better with the style of the room.

First, I had mike cut about 5-6" off of each leg, so that when I sat at the sewing table, my legs weren't squished underneath (apparently they aren't quite as scrawny as they were at age 8;)

Then I unscrewed the seat part from the chair frame, and went to work on upholstering them. 



I purchased a roll of batting and 1" foam from the craft store and cut the foam to the exact size of the seat.


I then cut a square piece of batting (doubled-up for strength), making sure it was about 4" larger than my seat on all sides. 


Then I flipped it all over to the backside and went to work stapling the batting to the seat. I started with all the corners first, being sure to check the other side periodically to see if the batting was laying flat and not being pulled too taut. Then I worked my way around the perimeter, pulling it snugly as I went. 


 After cutting off all the excess batting and flipping it over, it had really begun to take shape!


The next step was to add my fabric covering. I chose to use drop-cloth canvas that I had purchased from Lowe's for super-cheap. I love the look of it, and because it is made for a utilitarian purpose, not for aesthetic purposes, it has dozens of small imperfections and discolorations that make it rustic and unique.

I forgot to take step by step pictures of the stapling process the second time around (because I was getting so excited about the end result:) but it was basically the same process as the batting. Here is the underside once the stapling was finished:


Once complete, they were even better than I hoped for...



Then they sat this way for about two weeks, waiting for their chair frames to get their makeover.

After waiting...

and waiting...

and waiting...

I finally got my act together and painted the chair frames this weekend. I sanded them first, and attempted to spray paint them, but it quickly became apparent that it would take about 6 coats of spray paint to get the desired look, since the wood absorbed the color almost instantly...

so I opted to use this instead...




Since it was a paint and primer in one, it covered nicely with two coats, and left my little chairs looking like this:



Once I re-attached my seat cushions, they looked amazing!




I just love them and cannot wait to show Grandma the next time she comes to visit:)

Here is another look at the before and after transformation:




I  love the casual, beachy look that they have as well as the durability of the cushions, thanks to the drop-cloth canvas...

...and they fit perfectly into the ultimate plan that I have for the craft room, which I am so excited about!

What about you? 

Have you ever used drop-cloth canvas for a project, and loved the result? 

I would love to hear about it:)


P.S. I link up to "Before and After Party" over at Thrifty Decor Chick...check it out for more great project ideas!






1 comment:

  1. I love them - I'm so glad you found a new look for those chairs! They have so many good memories. Now they also remind me of the tiny beach house Grandma took us to. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete

Hey everyone!!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog, and feel free to leave a message!! I would love to hear from you!

=)Adriane